Best Overall (organized by population)
The Best Overall Award recognizes outstanding achievement by a city’s sister city program in 2020. Winning applicants will demonstrate some or all of the following:
- Regular exchanges among many or all of their partnerships
- Exchanges across many sectors, including youth, education, arts, culture, economic development, technical assistance, and humanitarian work
- Inclusion of a broad array of organizations in their community, and partner community, including municipal government, businesses, nonprofits, academia, cultural organizations, trade associations, and civic groups.
- Diversity of their local communities and international sister cities, including involvement of underserved communities, minorities, people with disabilities, and low-income communities.
- Breadth and depth of impact of their programs.
- Emphasis on youth and giving young people exposure to international partnerships and exchanges.
- Expansion or improvement of previous activities or programs.
- A commitment to reinforcing the principles of citizen diplomacy and the mission of Sister Cities International: to promote peace through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation – one individual, one community at a time.
Best Overall awards are presented to four (4) communities according to the following population sizes:
- Population less than 25,000
- Population 25,001 – 100,000
- Population 100,001 – 300,000
- Population greater than 300,001